Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Flexibility not rigidity is the key to staying healthy, sane, and active!

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

It's been a doozy, as Winter Storm Janus caught us off guard and has been pummeling us with snow since early this morning! I was happy that I got to leave work early thanks to an official MTA advisory, but not so thrilled that the storm threw a wrench in my plans to hit the gym.

Now, I know what you're thinking: "A little snow's no excuse not to hit the gym!" Yeah, yeah, you're right. And my gym is less than a 5-minute walk from my house. Did I use the snow as a excuse not to go to the gym? Sure, I did! Did I use it as an excuse not to work AT ALL? Heck, no, I didn't! I got my sweat on in my living room with a quickie workout. Here's what I did:

25 squats (regular and sumo; I alternated)
15 glute raises
20 lunges (10/leg)
25 Fire Hydrants (25/leg)                 They look like this:
Source
AMRAP (Crossfit-speak for "as many reps as possible") for 20 minutes

Then, a quick ab circuit:
15 crunches
20 reverse crunches
15 bicycle crunches
15 sit ups
10 v-ups
1-minute plank

We've got to face the music: sometimes we're not going to feel like trudging to the gym. Heck, sometimes when the weather's fine I don't feel like going! It's important not to beat yourself up about it, especially when you're active and make the gym a priority most of the time. Flexibility not rigidity is the key to staying healthy, sane, and active. Working out should be fun, not a chore! In fact, we would probably be a much healthier, happier population if we focused less on getting in x amount of traditional exercise and more on just moving our bodies, any which way, as much as possible, all day long.

Take it from my girl, Jen Comas Keck (@jencomaskeck on Instragram) who posted a photo of herself today on Instagram swinging on a swing set. She writes: "NEPA (non-exercise physical activity) is so important! Even if you train hard a few times per week, you are much more sedentary away from the gym than you'd like to believe - especially those of us that are glued to our computers for work. Walk a lot, park further, play often, take the stairs, have sex - move yo bod every chance you get. #nepa"

LOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your feedback! Thanks for visiting.