Monday, October 14, 2013

Officially "grown up"

Happy Monday, everyone!

If you're like me and lucky enough to have it off, how are you spending your Monday? I replenished the pantry and fridge with a trip to TJ's and spent a couple of hours cooking and prepping for the week ahead. Hopefully the planning pays off and I can avoid these diet and nutrition pitfalls that I recently posted about!

This weekend was a whirlwind of activity. I left the City on Thursday afternoon for Boston, where I met my brother and aunt to continue northward to Maine. On Friday afternoon, my mom, aunt, brother and I headed to the local credit union to finalize the sale of my late grandmother's house to my brother and me! Yes, I'm now a home owner, as crazy as that sounds. While it won't be either of our primary residences, we can use it whenever we're in our hometown. Family and friends can enjoy free accommodations when they come to visit, and the house stays in the family. We weighed the pros and cons and realized that it was a worthwhile investment, albeit taking on a mortgage payment with our salaries is going to require some financial gymnastics!

Leading up to the closing on Friday, I'd had a lot of time to think about the choice that I was making and while I've never doubted my decision, I would be lying if I said that I didn't and don't worry about the financial side of things. While this is certainly normal, it got me thinking about all the things in my life about which I agonize and worry. A little bit of anxiety and worry is what keeps us on our toes and moving forward in our lives--it drives us to improve and be better. But excess worry and too much anxiety can have the opposite effect of rendering us unable to make decisions, move through life, and progress; it can be downright crippling.  And let's face it: most of our "worry bank" is spent on things that we have absolutely no control over (i.e. how others feel/think about us).

One of my goals for my 28th year is to worry less about what's out of my control and focus on summoning the courage to change the things that I can.

Photo courtesy of vuible.com
With regards to my anxieties about becoming a home owner, there is a lot that's within my control. I have the ability to budget each month to make sure that my mortgage payment is a priority. Where some might look at tightening one's belt even further as a drawback, I can choose to see it as an opportunity.

I can seize it. I can choose to do something that I've been putting off for months in fear and trust that it will be a worthwhile investment in my future: get my personal training certification.

So, I'll take this opportunity to ask you, dear readers: When have you turned difficulty into opportunity in your own life? How did it all work out for you? Any kernels of wisdom to share? Please leave a comment.

Xoxo,
Hilary


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your feedback! Thanks for visiting.